Saturday, June 21, 2014

Fine Motor Activities::Preschool Color Matching Lesson

The following lesson is designed to aid children with their fine motor skills using clothespins and teach color matching.  I used the cans for the purpose of self-containing the lesson (Montessori style) so that my two-year old class could have the chance to choose what they work on and take it from the shelf without it being difficult to carry.  You could do many variations on this lesson.  I did have to modify it myself as it turned out the clothespins were too difficult for my students aside from the oldest twos.  I switched out the clothespins for squares of paper with the colored dots that I had laminated and attached velcro, in a way maintaining the two fold purpose of the lesson.  As I have used these containers for many different lessons, they can also be used to correspond with monthly themes.  In the past I have made matching cards using stickers with velcro backs that the children use to match (insects, ocean life, dinosaurs) while placing the cards inside the can for easy storage afterwards.

Materials:
- Baby formula can
- Cardstock 
- Items to match (colored dots, stickers, etc)
- Clothespins/Velcro depending on the ability of your child/students
- Packaging tape

Preparation:
Tape one set of the item to be matched around the can while the other set is used on the end of the clothespin.  If you are doing squares of card stock with a matched item, I suggest laminating it for durability and hot gluing it to the clothespin.  As I said with my class I had to modify the lesson by getting rid of the clothespin and laminating a card stock square with the dots on them to be matched by velcro.


Our YouTube Video demonstrating the process:




No comments:

Post a Comment